Monday 5 December 2016

Meta: Dude, Where's My Shield (Design System)?

So one of the things I mentioned in a previous post is the shield design system I've been working on. I've also talked a bit about it in the GURPS Discord if you've been lurking there at the right times. It's something I'm very proud of because of it's elegance – it encapsulates what could be a very complex problem in a simple and direct way. But the reason it's not shown up on this blog yet is because last weekend I sent a query letter to Steve Jackson Games for writing it as a GURPS Pyramid article.

When I started this blog it was always one of my intentions to hold myself to a professional standard, as well as to use a similar voice and tone to Pyramid articles. Writing for Pyramid is something that I've thought about for at least the last year. I had the ideas, for sure, but the writing itself was the issue. But beginning this blog and setting my two-per-week goal has really helped me refine my writing, both in terms of quality and speed. After some unexpected but glowing feedback on the Discord, I decided to pitch the shield design article to SJG. I got quite a positive response, so if all goes well and it's accepted, it won't be appearing here. But, as Bob Ross says, it'll put a happy buck in my pocket. But if it's not accepted, I'll post it here!

EDIT: To clarify, nothing has been decided yet; the query I sent got a good response but there's no guarantee of publication implied in that. I did point them at this blog but I have no idea whether reading what I've posted here was part of the decision or not. I'll talk more about it when there's something to talk about.

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck - I recall you mentioning one in progress, but that's all the more I've heard so far. Looking forward to seeing it, regardless of where it shows up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff man! Hope that you get it published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been thinking today about a project we might be able to collaborate on - what's the best way to get in touch?

      Delete
  3. On one hand, this means I don't get to see the system for a while, and I have plans for it.

    On the other hand, you getting your stuff published would be totally awesome, so I really hope this works.

    It also means it will be a chunk more official, which is useful if my TK wants a portable wall to drag around for cover. :)

    ReplyDelete